Unless you are living under a rock, you know that social media is where all the cool kids hang out! Whether you are on it for personal use or for growing your business, this is where you need to be.
Facebook alone has over 1.32 billion daily active users and 2.01 billion monthly active users. Those statistics alone should show you where you need to start if you’re not on social media.
In today’s blog post, I am going to show you how social media has evolved since it started.
Something I hear all the time is that social media is for younger people. When it first started, yes millennials were the main users. But now, they are not the only ones using it. According to the Q1 2017 Sprout Social Index
7 in 10 Gen Xers will likely purchase something from a brand they follow, 30% of Millennials engage with a brand on social media at least once a month, and 60% of Baby Boomers are looking for promotions on social media.
When it comes to purchasing behavior, Facebook and Twitter are the leading social media platforms that influence purchases. Facebook has the greatest influence on purchases with 47% of users saying that Facebook has the greatest impact on purchase behavior. Twitter is the number 1 online channel for influence purchasing decisions surrounding electronics. Out of 53% of consumers who said they use Twitter to recommend companies or products in their Tweets, 48% bought that product or service. (source The Social Ms)
Take a look at the image below because this really shows the evolution of social media. Since the first image was created in 2008, it showed LinkedIn as a “Niche Network”. Now, LinkedIn is the most overlooked social network out there with more than 467 million members in over 200 countries and territories. In the US alone, there are over 122 million members. It’s such a great platform that Microsoft bought it for $262 billion, which is the biggest purchase for Microsoft of all-time.
Learn more about LinkedIn during my next LIVE Webinar on September 21st.
You will also notice how many more social media channels have been created or added to the list since 2008. Some common ones include Medium, Amazon, GoodReads, Skype, Pinterest, Vimeo, Eventbrite, Meetup, Spotify, Facebook Live, Snapchat, Instagram, Pocket, StumbleUpon, Kickstarter, Gofundme and Tinder.
Some other statistics you should know:
- According to Hoosuite, 94% of B2B marketers use LinkedIn to distribute content
- 31% of LinkedIn users are men and 27% are women
- Facebook continues to be the most widely used social media platform with 79% of Americans – 68% of those users are adults
- Facebook users are 83% female and 75% male
- There are now over 313 million monthly active users on Twitter
- 81% of millennials check Twitter at least once per day
- Pinterest has over 150 million daily active users
- 45% of Pinterest users are women
- Facebook owns Instagram with over 500 million monthly active users
- 32% of teenagers consider Instagram to be the most important social network
As you can see, social media is here to stay and will only get better with time. Get on the band wagon and be one of those cool kids!
Comment below with your favorite social media network and why!
In my next blog post, I am going to talk about the things you didn’t know about how to customize your Facebook News Feed.
Until then, Keep Calm & Love Social Media!
Latest posts by Michelle Arbore (see all)
- How To Spring Clean Your Blog & Social Media - March 24, 2018
- How To Share Someone Else’s Facebook Post & Schedule It - March 20, 2018
- 2018 Social Media Audit - January 30, 2018