Instagram has become the favorite social media platform for many. It’s actually be around 10 years this year, so HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO INSTAGRAM 🎂
Instagram has grown so much that they have now over 1 billion active reported users!
Some Instagram statistics you should know:
- Compared to Facebook, Instagram is a network of younger users. According to Statista, more than half of the global Instagram user population is younger than 34 years old. It’s the second most preferred app after Snapchat for teenagers in the US.
- The 18–24 year old age group is the largest of the demographics. Overall, there’s a mostly even split between the genders with 51% female and 49% male.
- The United States has 120 million users, India has 88 million users and Brazil is at 82 million users.
- About six in 10 Instagram users log in at least once daily. It’s the second most logged in social media site for daily use after Facebook. Twenty-one percent of users log in weekly and 16% log in less often than that.
- Instagram users spend almost as much time on the platform as Facebook users. They browse for an average of 53 minutes per day versus Facebook’s 58 minutes per day.
- Eighty-three percent of Instagram users discover new products and services on the platform.
- According to Instagram, over 500 million accounts use Instagram Stories every day.
- Shopping is a strong feature that will surely become even more developed in the future. Instagram helps 80% of Instagrammers decide whether to buy a product or service (Facebook, 2019). Instagram users report making a purchase decision based on something that they saw while browsing the app.
- The latest Instagram statistics show that an average Instagram post contains as many as 10.7 hashtags (HubSpot, 2020).
- An estimated 71% of US businesses claim that they use Instagram for business (Mention, 2018).
Now, onto the 10 Instagram Hacks Everyone Should Know!!!!
JUST A NOTE: I am using a Samsung phone so you may have to see how to do these hacks for iPhones.
1. Get notifications when your favorite people post
Never want to miss an Instagram post from your favorite influencers? You can choose to get a notification every time that person shares a new photo. All you have to do is turn on notifications for each user individually.
To turn these notifications on, you have to visit the user’s profile, click the three dots in the upper right-hand corner of the post, and choose “Turn on Post Notifications” from the menu options.
It’s important to know that you have to enable notifications from the Instagram app in your phone’s settings so you get a notification everytime someone shares a new photo.
2. Add and manage multiple accounts from one device
Have more than one Instagram account, whether for personal or business? Here’s how to manage them all together on one device:
- From your profile, hit the three lines at the top-right, click on Settings, and then click on Add Account.
- Enter your email or username and password
How do you switch between each account? Go to your profile, click on your username with the down arrow, and select the account you want to go to. You can also add an account from here. Instagram only allows you to manage 5 accounts.
3. Save posts so you can go back to them latter
You can now save or bookmark posts that you want to go back to later. Find a post you want to save and click on the bookmark icon under the picture.
You can also save the post in a collection. If you like quotes, why not create a collection just for quotes. When you save or bookmark a post and click on the icon, click on Save to Collection and give the collection a name. When you want to add to a collection, click on the bookmark icon from a post and select the collection you want that post to be saved to.
How do you get to your saved posts and collections? Go to your profile, click on the three lines at the top-right, and click on Saved. There you’ll see all your saved posts under All Posts as well as your collections.
Now that you have some collections created, you can add your saved posts to those collections. Go to the collection you want to add posts to and click on the three little dots on the top-right. Then click on Add to Collection. Select the posts you want to add and click on the checkmark when you are done. Want to delete a collection? Go to the collection you want to delete, click on Edit Collection, and click on Delete. All those posts will then be back in the All Posts collection.
4. Create Story Highlights so they last longer than 24 hours
Things you share to your Instagram Story only last for 24 hours and then they are gone. But are they 🤔 Your stories are put into your Archives so now you can make them last longer by creating Story Highlights.
To create a highlight, go to your profile and hit New. Select as many past stories as you want for this particular highlight, hit Next, give the highlight a name and Edit the Cover if you want. Click Done and your highlight is created and added to your profile.
You can also add a story to a highlight right when you create your story. First create your story and share it, then once it is shared click on Highlight at the bottom and select where you want the story to be saved or click on New to create a new highlight.
5. Share other people’s posts to your Story
If you don’t have anything to share or you find something that really inspires you, you can share that post to your Instagram Stories. Here’s how:
Find a post you want to share and tap the paper airplane icon under the photo.
A screen will then open where you can hit Add post to your story. Click on that and your story will open.
You can do a few things here:
- Share it just the way it is
- Click on the image and it will show the person’s username and some of their text from their content
- Create this story any way you would a normal story with GIFs, text, hashtags, mentions, etc.
6. Drive traffic to different websites
One of the biggest frustrations is that you are only allowed one clickable website, and that’s in your bio. If you put websites in your Instagram posts, you’ll notice they are not clickable, so how do you get people to different websites? There are a few ways you can do this?
- Change your link in the bio – if you want people to visit your blog, link to that. If you want people to see a video on YouTube, link to that. If you want people to register for something, link to that. Now, when you are creating your content for a post, all you have to say is click the link in my bio.
- Use third-party tools like Shorby, Linktree, or Lnk.Bio
- Create a page on your website with different links. This is how I have mine. When someone clicks on the link in my bio, they can then choose where they want to go, depending on the content of the post. So now when I say click the link in my bio, they are finding what they need and they are now on my website! Here’s what I mean – www.savvysocialmedia.net/instagramlinks
7. Reshare other people’s posts to your Instagram
Have you ever seen a quote or something you want to share to your Instagram but you can’t? Instagram is not like Facebook where you can hit the Share button.
The way around that? Download Repost to your phone.
How to use Repost:
- Find a post you want to reshare
- Click on the three dots on the right-hand side of the post
- Click on Copy Link
- Open the Repost app
- Click on the image you want to share – should be under New
- Decide where you want the Repost image and if you want it Light or Dark. If you have the paid version, like I do, you don’t have to have the Repost image on your image. Click on Repost when you are done.
- The caption from the original post was copied to your clipboard so now hit Open Instagram
- Crop your photo if you need to and hit the blue arrow for the next step
- Pick your Filter and hit Next
- Click in the caption area and paste the caption that was copied
- I highly recommend keeping the #Repost @ username that way that user gets credit and knows you shared their post. You don’t have to keep the content if you do want to.
- Once you are done, click on Share
Here’s what it looks like when you use Repost:
8. Add special fonts to your bio
Want your profile to stand out? By using a couple of third-party websites, you can copy some special fonts not found in the Instagram community.
9. Search for Instagram users without having an account
Not on Instagram yet but want to search for someone? There are two ways to do this without logging in:
First way is by entering the username at the end of the Instagram URL – www.instagram.com/michellearboresavvysocialmedia. Once you are on Instagram, you will see the Search box at the top of the page. There, you can search for other Instagram users.
Second way to search for people without having an Instagram account is by Googling them in an Instagram Site Search – site:instagram.com michellearboresavvysocialmedia.
10. See all the posts you’ve liked
Ever want to see all the posts you’ve liked? Go to your profile (not the home page) and click on the 3 lines at the top-right. Then click on Settings, Account, and Posts You’ve Liked. Now, you’ll see every post you’ve liked! Once you get to the end, click on the + sign to see more.
As you can, there a lot of hidden tricks you can use to make Instagram more fun and easier to use. These hacks can also enhance your presence as a business.