It’s a new year, so let’s make sure you are doing the right things on LinkedIn.
Here are 20 Do’s and Don’ts of LinkedIn Etiquette
LinkedIn Etiquette Do’s:
- Personalize connection requests by telling them your reason for wanting to connect.
- Have a profile picture so people can see who they are connecting to.
- Personalize your recommendation requests and offer to reciprocate (if appropriate).
- Keep it professional and only share information relevant to business.
- Turn off notifications when updating your profile.
- Send a nice welcome message that provides value when you connect with people.
- Regularly nurture relationships because building relationships is not a numbers game.
- Make your contact list open to your connections.
- Offer to introduce your connections to others in your network.
- Respond promptly to messages within 1-2 days.
LinkedIn Etiquette Don’ts:
- Don’t send spammy messages to your connections.
- Don’t over post – once a day is good.
- Don’t ask people you don’t know for LinkedIn recommendations.
- Don’t criticize or comment negatively on posts in groups.
- Don’t post self-serving content in groups that holds no value to members.
- Don’t send message to multiple people at the same time.
- Don’t ask people to like your Facebook page.
- Don’t ask new connections or people you don’t know to endorse you.
- Don’t send messages starting with “I see you viewed my profile….”.
- Don’t treat LinkedIn like Facebook or Twitter.
If you follow these Do’s & Don’ts, you will have a better time on LinkedIn!